Wednesday 28 September 2011

"Powerhouse" - Raymond Scott

Today (as I'm during the week and no reviews to be posted til Friday), but I feel that I ought to share a song that I've always liked a lot, and also used in a lot of Looney Tunes cartoons - Raymond Scott's Powerhouse. Powerhouse was first written in 1937, and it's best known to have been played in many cartoons.

This is a very good music video in which it shows Raymond Scott and his band that play Powerhouse. The song has been used in many Looney Tunes particularly in the cartoon Baby Bottleneck in which it's played during the assembly line, which is the most famous cartoon that has the song used. The music has also been briefly heard in cartoons like Falling Hare, Porky's Pig Feat, and even on Duck Dodgers and the 24 1/2 Century.

(Here is Baby Bottleneck - you'll hear some Powerhouse in there).

The song has also been played in shows like Ren & Stimpy, Animaniacs, and The Simpsons. I don't know about you lot, but I find this piece of music very inspiring and fascinating.

2 comments:

  1. You're probably not going to like this if you're a purist as far as musical scores is concerned, but a DJ collective known as Celebrity Murder Party just gave it the dubstep remix treatment. Be forewarned and prepare your ears for the drop!

    http://soundcloud.com/celebrity-murder-party/p0w3rh0u-e

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, anonymous - I quite liked that remix. It wasn't great, but I liked how it was modernized. The original version is still the best though.

    ReplyDelete